Djurö can be found 50 km east of Stockholm where route 222 finishes. It is connected to the mainland and nearby Stavsnäs by a beautiful bridge from which there is a magnificent view across the large bay, Kanholmsfjärden. The northern area of the island was originally a separate island with its own name (Vindö) which is still in use today, but the continuing rising of the land since the last ice age has joined the two islands together. The harbour, Djurhamn, has always been of importance, as it is well-protected and close to the major sea route. The Coast Guard have one of their largest posts here with a staff of 40 people running 3 ships and 5 smaller boats.
There are about two thousand permanent residents on Djurö-Vindö. This number increases 10-fold during the summer. There is a small community right next to the bridge with apartments, residential areas, shops, a health clinic, a library and a school. Further north on Vindö the housing is less dense and there are a lot of holiday homes.
Djurönäset is nicely situated on its own headland just after crossing the bridge. This is one of the largest conference centres in Sweden with meeting rooms for up to 400 people, a hotel, swimming facilities, a café and a first class restaurant. There is lots to do on Djurö including crazy golf, boat rental and playgrounds for the children.
At Vita Grindarna next to Bruksfladen bay in Djurhamn there is a campsite where you can also rent cottages. There is a restaurant with a view north across the bay, canoe rental, crazy golf, beach volleyball and boule. There is a large sandy beach here too.
How to get there
Communications to Djurö are good. On the mainland side of the bridge to Djurö is Stavsnäs where there is a large harbour from where you can take a ferry to Sandhamn, for example. In the far north of Vindö is Sollenkroka quay where the Waxholmbolaget boats and taxi boats land on their way further north into the Archipelago. You can also travel by land taking bus number 434 from Slussen or route 222 by car.
Björkås kök och pizza
Abborrkrokens Handel och Bar (Shop and bar)
Vindö krog (inn)
Munkens Konditori (bakery)
There are several shops in Djurhamn.
There is a fuel station at Djurö Bridge.
Djurö is a lush island with varied woodland and a rocky coast, in particular facing the large Kanhomsfjärden bay to the east. There are a number of inlets in a north-south direction and around 10 or so lakes on the island. The west of the island faces out on Älgö bay with Värmdö on the other side.
King Valdemar was the first one to name the island in written text in the 13th century, but it can be assumed that fishermen and hunters lived here thousands of years ago. There are remains on nearby Ingarö from 2300 BC.
The harbour has played an important role in Swedish naval history. Djuröhamn harbour is deep, large and well-protected while being close to the main shipping routes and relatively easy to reach by road from Stockholm. From the middle of the 15th century until Gustaf Wasa liberated the country from the Danes in 1523, the Danish kings favoured Djurhamn as the base for their raids on Stockholm.
From 1520 to 1720, the harbour was used by the Swedish navy during the days of the Swedish Empire. Gustaf II Adolf set sail from here for the 30 Year's War with 14,000 men in a fleet of 7 large ships, 20 medium ships and five smaller ones.
The Russian navy landed on Djurö on 14th July 1719 and burnt the whole island. They spared the church, however, which has stood since 1683. To compensate for the catastrophe the king gave the inhabitants of the island an 8 year tax exemption.
The next invasion, of a more peaceful kind, began at the end of the 19th century when tourists and summer residents landed here on the white steamships. Houses were rented from the locals and people began to spend leisure time here. In the 1940s, at their height, there were more than 10 guest houses for holidaying city dwellers. The beautiful bridge from Värmdö was built in 1962 with 22 metres clearance above the sea for sail boats and the old ferry terminal was closed down.