Lat: N 59º 24' 32.21"
Long: E 18º 33' 43.67"
On the eastern edge of Saxarfjärden, a comfortable boat trip from Stockholm city centre, Vaxholm and Ljusterö is Grinda. The island is one of the first areas that Stockholm City bought in order to give its inhabitants the chance of taking a holiday in the archipelago. The small cottages available for renting were built in the 1940s and they retain their character from that time. They are in stark contrast to the Art Nouveau building, which is now Grinda Wärdshus, which is one of the largest stone buildings in the archipelago. It was built in 1906 by the first director of the Nobel Foundation who bought the complete island to build a holiday residence for himself and his family.
Grinda has been owned by the Archipelago Foundation since 1998 and they lease to Grinda Wärdshus and Grinda Gård (farm).
There are two piers on Grinda, the north and south piers and there is a lovely path linking the two. There is plenty to do for boat tourists on Grinda. There is a very nice guest harbour in Hemviken near Grinda Wärdshus with toilets, showers and a sauna. There are many nice places to swim around the island from both rocky coast and sandy beaches. Canoes are available to rent and you can also learn rock-climbing or archery.
- Grinda Gård (farm) is an active archipelago farm with cows, sheep and hens. The farms products are sold in a small farm shop.
- Grinda Wärdshus (inn) offers both high quality food and drink and more food near the harbour. Conference facilities are available, with or without accommodation.
- STF (Swedish Tourist Association) Vandrarhem (hostel) is at the southern pier. There are also cottages to rent and a campsite.
- A Christmas Market is held every weekend in December where local produce, art and gifts are sold.
How to get there
You can travel to Grinda by private boat, Waxholmsbolaget or the Cinderella boats. The journey time is 1-2 hours from Stockholm
Grinda Wärdshus and pub
STF Vandrarhem at the southern pier with 44 beds.
Holiday village with a total of 31 cottages.
A campsite near the northern pier.
There is a shop and petrol station nearby on Lådna island.
In Hemviken there is room for 80 boats tied up using an anchor or buoy. There are showers, toilets and sauna available here.
There are many areas to swim including beaches and from the rocks.
There is a sauna at the inn.
Large areas of the island are covered by rocky hills and pine woodland. It is dominated by two ridges going northwest to southeast and between, there is a large inlet called Källviken. There is a 2.5 km long path, Grindastigen, which is a cultural walk on the south eastern side of the island. It brings you to Klubbudden, a 35 metre high headland which is the highest point on the island. There was commercial agriculture on the island until the 1950s. Nowadays, sheep graze on the open areas to prevent the island growing over. There is a certain amount of cultivated land in the centre of the island.
There has been a farm on Grinda since 2000. They have cows, sheep and hens. Foxes, badgers, pine martens and roe deer live wild. Goshawk, ospreys and sea eagles can be seen overhead. The rare and harmless smooth snake can be found on Grinda.
Grinda is thought to have been inhabited since the Middle Ages. In the 1500s there was a registered tax payer on the island. The island ceased to be owned by archipelago farmers around the start of the 18th century and during the rest of that century, ownership changed hands several times.
At the start of the 19th century, it was once again owned by farmers from the archipelago until 1906 when the district judge, who was also the first director of the Nobel Foundation, Henrik Santesson, bought Grinda and built a beautiful yellow Art Nouveau brick house. In 1944, the whole island was sold to Stockholm City in order to create a new recreation area for the city's inhabitants. A holiday village was built and a campsite laid out. Summer camps for girls were started in the former military barracks. The southern camp is now a hostel. The large brick building, which has been both a guest house and summer camp through the years, is now Grinda Wärdshus with restaurant, conference facilities and rooms to rent in the hotel. In 1998 the island became fully-owned by the Archipelago Foundation.
Ranger, tel +46 (0)70-377 77 56
Tel: +46 (0)8-100 222